Amazing! I cross over to 60 years old. What an amazing time it has been.
I made the decision earlier this year to invite my children to the lake region of New York State. The Adirondacks.
Over my life I have had some pretty memorable birthdays, but this one included my children and all my grandchildren. Like early days, I am sunburned, happy and waiting for more food!
For those who don’t know me, here are some facts.
- I was born in New Haven at Grace New Haven Hospital in 1955.
- My parents were Bob and Betty.
- I was the first of four children.
- I don’t like sweet potatoes AT ALL.
- I live in Keene New Hampshire.
- I love my kids and their kids.
- I love being on the lake.
- I did not shave this week!
Today as I drove over to the Blue Mountain Lake area and then up to Long Lake, I remembered all those places of my youth. How my cakes were often drums and it is better to not be born the day after Christmas like my brother Larry, because…who cares? Thankful I was not born on the 4th or my name would have been Samuel. Grateful for all that I am and who God made me.
As I look at 60, frankly I never thought I would make 21, so it is all bonus!
A lot has changed in 60 years. Frankly I am not at all happy about some of it, but hey, I am enjoying life.
At 60 I have realized a few things…
- I understand people a whole more than I did at 20. For that matter, yesterday!
- I dress how I want! Well, except when people are around.
- I am okay alone. Sometimes it is necessary and sometimes I just prefer it.
- I am okay not “going out”.
- People who are stupid no longer bother me as much.
- I eat different. I sleep different. (Well, no maybe I don’t.)
- I don’t need to know everything or read everything.
- I am comfortable with who I am.
- I know to stay out of the sun.
- Pretty sure I shower quicker with less hair. (Though this week reminded me how much I love a beard and hot water.)
- I know who I want to hang out with.
- I love my friends!
- I laugh when I want and don’t really care. (Well, maybe that started at 40!)
- I still like my music!
- Nothing is more important than my family and my friends!
- Who needs a bucket list? Let’s get the marrow out of the bone every day!
- I hate AARP (Use AMAC)
- I know how to use a real phone.
- I have watched my children turn into great kids!
- Now I know why nice is better!
- Gossip does not make you a better person.
- I spend less time sleeping!
- You don’t just learn from those that are older.
- 60 is just a number!
I have seen a few things. I watched the moon launch. Man land on the moon. I watched wars end and wars start. I think school needs to be changed for the better. Turn around before you hit something! I remember when roads were built and cars had Air Conditioning as an option, seat belts did not exist and we rode in the back window.
I have seen amazing things.
Most of all I remember times that were prosperous. I remember when people worked and it was important. I have to remember not all got that shot…yet.
At the end of all this, I know God is bigger. And I did not have Him in the beginning and I have Him now.
Today I celebrate 60 years. I am pretty excited about the world has to show. I expect pretty miraculous things.
I will be eating pie. (Because cake is not high on my radar. I am kind of like Peter Tork and his pet pig Porky. I like pie!)I will be celebrating life. I will miss my parents who passed away. I will not see my brothers and sisters. But I’ll enjoy all those that are here.
(And I still have a big birthday party with all my friends in a few weeks. Join me!)
I say, let the birthday month begin!